Rajma masala recipe / Rajma chawal
Rajma which is known as Red kidney beans is basically a north Indian cuisine, Rajma is very popular & authentic Punjabi gravy which is enjoyed with plain rice or chapattis or parathas, basically a main course, which is filling & nutritious & turns out excellent when cooked in tomato pulp with the spices..here is my RAJMA MASALA recipe take a look at it....
PREPARATION TIME: 40- 45 MINUTES.
SERVES: 3-4 PERSONS.
1 cup Rajma
1 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 whole black pepper
½ tsp garam masala powder
1 finely chopped onions
3- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Coriander leaves for garnishing
½ tsp coriander powder
1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
Pinch of turmeric powder
1-2 green chillies finely chopped
Salt to taste
- Soak Rajma ( red kidney beans ) in an ample of water for 8- 1o hours ( preferably over night).
- In a pressure cooker add oil, once oil is heated put whole black pepper, green chillies & onions, fry till onion becomes golden brown in colour,
- Add ginger garlic paste,& fry it till raw smell disappears. Now add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder & sauté for a while.
- Now add tomatoes & stir, cover & cook until tomatoes gets mashed, stir at intervals.
- Drain the excess water from the pre-soaked Rajma & add to the gravy, sauté for a minute & close the lid of the pressure cooker by adding 2 cups of water. Cook till its completely done.
- Once Rajma is done, add cumin powder ( roast & crush cumin seeds into powder)& garam masala powder, simmer till required gravy ( preferably thick gravy),garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with a rice, paratha or chapattis.
- If you want you can add whole garam masala like cloves, bay leaf, black pepper, cardamom & cinnamon.
- Cooking time for Rajma depends on the quality of Rajma , don’t buy dark color, it takes long time to cook .
- If Rajma is pre soaked overnight, it won’t take too long to be done completely other than those soaked for 2-3 hours.
- If you want you can grind tomatoes into paste or grate them, so that if tomatoes aren't mashed properly they do not float in the gravy.
- If want you can add ½ tsp amchur powder for that extra flavor to give that Punjabi touch.
- I sometimes add small red rajma, but its your choice if you want to add big or small red ones, either of them , totally depends on you .
- Increase or decrease red chilly powder as per your preferences