Recipe of chole puri or poori
Chole puri is one of the most popular Punjabi recipe which is now liked almost all over India. My best memories is the one i ate at a popular restaurant in Mumbai known as Cream Center . where a large of mumbaities relish even today..! I enjoy eating hot chole with puris or kulchas but they are usually teamed with bhaturas...
1 ½ cup of white chick peas ( kabuli chana) soaked overnight
2 medium sized finely chopped onions
1 medium sized chopped tomato.
½ inch piece of ginger finely chopped or crushed
2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped or crushed
½ tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp amchur powder ( dry mango powder)
A pinch of turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
1 tsp cumin seeds powder (jeera powder)
3 green chilies slit
Salt as per taste
2 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera)
2 tsp of chole masala
- Pressure cook kabuli chana with salt and 3 -4 cups of water till its completely soft.
- In a pan, heat oil & add cumin seeds, let it splutter.
- Add ginger , garlic and onions & saute till its golden brown , now add tomato and cook till it becomes soft.
- Add chole masala, salt , turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilly powder,cumin powder, and green chilies and saute for a while.
- Now add kabuli chana with its stock & mix well, and cook for few minutes.
- Add dry kasturi methi crushed and amchur powder, let it simmer for 5 minutes until the gravy thickens and you get the desired consistency.
NOTE: To get that dark brown colour to the chick peas ( chole), pressure cook the kabuli chana with 1 tea bag or tsp tea leaves, tied in a muslin cloth until its completely done, drain and keep aside, discard the tea bag.
PREPARATION TIME: 40- 45 minutes SERVES: 3 persons.
POORI / PURI
1 cuo whole flour ( gehun ka atta)
2 1/2 tbsp ghee or oil
a pinch of salt
oil for deep frying.
Combine the whole flour, 2 tbsp of ghee or oil and salt and knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
Knead again with the remaining 1/2 tbsp of ghee or oil and cover and keep aside for 10 to 5 minutes.
Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll out each portion into 75 mm. (3" ) diameter round.
Heat the oil, and deep fry puri's at a time till they turn golden brown colour from both the sides.
Drain on an absorbent paper and serve hot with chole.
For more cooking tips join me on twitter http://twitter.com/zulekhaskitchen