Recipe of Paani Puri
Paani Puri which is known in Mumbai and is referred as golgappa in Delhi , is the most popular and favorite chaat all over the country. Paani puri tastes spicy , sweet or balanced with both , as per your taste one can prepare with the required proportion ,in fact to have Pani Puri there is no particular time or season, one can munch it any time when ever you crave for.
Paani puri is a tongue tickling road side chaat famous all over the country , its a crisp deep puris filled with boiled potatoes or white peas ( ragda) or sprouts and dipping it in spicy, and sweet prepared pani.
But it is a delight to have it from road side vendor as after the 6 puris served , always ask for free theeka ( spicy) paani with one dry puri sprinkled with spices , hey ...hey.. asking for free pani and extra puri is our birth right...I am sure every one who has had pani puri outside will surely agree with me.....:)
20 - 25 Puris ( ready made )
1 bowl of tamarind chutney ( Meethi Chutney )
1 Cup Dried white peas (Ragda )
2 tbsp boondi ( small fried gram flour balls )
PANI PURI :
1 bunch Coriander leaves
1 cup of mint leaves
3 - 4 tbsp crushed jaggary
2 tbsp thick tamarind pulp ( seedless)
2 -3 nos green chillies
1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
1/2 litre water
1" ginger chopped
- Soak Ragda overnight, boil it with sufficinet water and salt.
- Blend the pani puri ingredients except water, just add little water from 1/2 litre and make a smooth paste and strain this mixture to remove any rough bits.
- Empty this green chutney into a large bowl and add rest water, boondi and garnish with 1 tbsp of coriander leaves adjust salt and other seasoning as per required and refrigerate it.
- Once pani is ready, crack the top of the puri with a spoon or with your finger.
- Add the boiled white peas ( Ragda )
- Add 1 tsp tamarind chutney ( meethi chutney )
- lastly now dip into spicy water ( theeka paani ) and serve immediately.
- Better serve 1 puri at a time as it will get soggy if assembled few together.
- Instead of white peas you can use bondi or boiled potatoes sprinkled with salt, red chilli powder and chaat masala or boiled green sprouts ( moong ) to fill the puris.
- Better if an individual assembles puris for himself / herself as per his/ her taste like if one wants more of tamrind chutney ( meethi chutney) and less of spicy water or vise verse as per her/ his taste with desired filling ( ragda / boiled potatoes/ sprouts)
- Increase or decrease the number of green chillies as per your taste.
SERVES: 3 - 4 Persons.