Recipe of Masala khichdi | hari mong dal khichdi (split green gram)
Nanima's khichdi / chilka mong daal khichdi is nutritious and easy to make, I have named it nanima's khichdi because it was my grand ma's favorite one,
its the way she use to prepare, in fact she guided me and forced me into cooking during my early teens and for that I am very thank ful to her, if she wudnt have forced me, i would have not been a good cook , infact whatever I am is all because of her, now she is no more...but for me she does exists in my heart, in my cooking.....in whaterver I do....she being a grand mother raised me like her own daughter, I never experienced motherly love but I am sure if I had my mother she would have taken care of me the way my nanima did, I owe every thing to her...
This recipe is really close to my heart as its one of her favourite and mine too, I still remember she use to tell me to make this khichdi and then we use to have it with her home made pickles....If she could hear me, want to say that nanima I Love you...and I miss u loads....please come back................................................................................
1/2 cup split green gram( chilke wali hari mong dal )
1 cup rice
2 -3 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 - 3 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1small stick cinamon
1 large onions chopped
2 medium size tomato peeled amd chopped
2 small potatoes cut into half (with skin)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 cups of water
Coriander leaves for garnishing
oil / ghee
- Wash rice 2-3 times and split green gram (hari mong chilka daal) together and soak in water.
- On the other hand heat ghee/oil in a deep thick bottomed pan, add cloves, cumin seeds, cinamon stick, peppercorns, bay leaf.
- As they splutter, add chopped onions and fry till golden in color, add ginger garlic paste and saute for half a minute, now add chopped tomatoes and fry until it gets soft.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, and saute for a while, add potatoes with the skin ( wash properly) and fry in the same prepared gravy until oil separates.( if the masala starts sticking at the bottom add 1/2 cup of water and roast it )
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil with desired salt ( adjust salt of rice portion ).
- Add mong daal and rice, mix everything well keeping on high flame, once half the water has dried up , slow down the flame.
- Cover and cook until the rice, daal and potatoes are completely done. ( if the water has dried up but the rice is yet to to be cooked, add 1/2 - 1 cup of water)
- Serve hot with home made pickles... ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat)
- Adjust the chilli powder as per your taste and preferences and if you like spicy then add 1 slit green chilly when you add whole spices ( akha garam masala)
- You can make khichdi in pressure cooker as well,but for that procedure is the same when you add 4 cups of water amd add rice with mong dal, cover the lid and cook on high flame, after one whistle, slow down the gas and cook till more two whistles. Now off the gas and let it rest until you can open the lid, serve hot with pickle.
- Best when cooked on thick bottomed pan.
PREPARATION TIME : 30 - 40 Minutes.
SERVES: 2 -3 Persons