Recipe of Firni | Rice Phirni
Phirni is an Indian pudding where milk is cooked with ground rice and sugar on low flame giving a thick consistency, where as saffron adds to the aroma.
Phirni is traditionally served in earthen bowls, and is famous during on special occasions or celebrations like diwali and many other festivals.
1/2 Liter whole milk
2 and 1/2 tbsp rice
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
4 tbsp sugar
Few almonds, pistachios blanched , peeled and sliced
a pinch saffron ( kesar)
1. Wash rice 2 -3 times, drain and place on absorbent paper to get dry for an hour, mean while Boil the 1/2 liter milk.
2. Once the rice has fully dried up, now grind it in food processor but not to fine , keep it coarse.
3. Now in a bowl dissolve the rice in a cup of warm milk . ( take 1 cup from the same pre boiled milk ) , mix well.
4. Add this rice mixture to the 1/2 liter milk with sugar and green cardamom, cook on low flame till rice is completely cooked, stir at intervals.
5. Now add saffron, ( I have mixed saffron in 1- 2 tbsp milk) mix well and cook until the consistency thickens, make sure to stir constantly as it may get burnt at the bottom, adjust sweetness as per your preferences.
6. Once the consistency gets thicken, empty the mixture in earthen bowls and garnish with pistachios, saffron strands and almonds.
7. Now refrigerate it for an hour and serve chill.
If the rice is still wet and you run out of time then refrigerate the rice for sometime so that it dries up early.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 Minutes ( plus extra time for rice to get dried up )
SERVES: 3 Persons.