recipe of Urad Dal ( white lentils)
Urad dal is very easy , simple and typically a desi cuisine, without much ado best for some one who loves Indian cuisines....
Though this urad daal is semi thick in consistency and is served with bajre ki roto or phulkas topped with ghee ( clarified butter )
I make Urad dal in two ways but here I am sharing one of them, will soon share the other way of cooking urad daal ( white).
Urad daal is simply relished during winters with bajre ki roti, simply desi , easy to cook, tasty, delicioius and truly lip smacking.....I love this daal with bajre ki roti.....a must try Recipe......
2 cups of white urad dal ( Split Black Gram )
2 - 3 tbsp chana daal ( Split Bengal Gram )
1- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
3 - 4 green chillies
1 onion finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
4 - 5 black pepper corns
small piece of ginger finely chopped
ghee ( clarified butter)
1. Sort the urad dal , by removing small stones if any ( its better to check ) . Wash in running water 2 - 3 times and soak urad dal and chana daal in water for an hour.
2. Boil urad daal in a deep vessel by adding turmeric powder, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies with adequate water and keep on low flame until both the daal is completely cooked. ( if the water has almost dried up, add 2 cups of water and cook until lentils completely cooked)
* Do not mash daal with wired whisk, cook until daal itself gets almost mashed, ( if it doesnt then mash it with the help of spoon) by now daal will be like half mashed with few whole lentils seen. ( but note the whole lentils must also be very much cooked)
3. In a pan heat 2 - 3 tbsp ghee ( you can add less or more ghee as per your preferences, I love more than 3 tbsp though) Add pepper corns and onions, saute on high flame until golden brown.
4. Add this tempering to daal , add 1- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes ( you can add more if you like spicy dal ) and salt. ( if the consistency is very thick add 1 - 1 1/2 cup of water)
5. Cover and cook on low flame for 15 - 20 Minutes, keeping a semi thick consistency, adjust the salt and hotness. Serve hot with bajre ki roti or phulkas topped with ghee.
- Best when adding good amount of ghee ( clarified butter) makes it more tastier.
- Best when made small pieces of bajre ki roti or phulkas topped with ghee, and then pouring good amount of spicy urad daal and enjoying lip smacking desi cuisine with hand crushed raw onions during winters.
PREPARATION TIME: 50-60 Minutes .