Recipe of mutor pulao
Mutor Pulav is a flavorful, aromatic rice in which green peas are cooked with whole garam masala and green chilies for that mesmerizing flavor. Though very less ingredients are used for preparing this fantastic Recipe , but in taste its simply outstanding.....
Mutor Pulao is my husband's favorite delicacy , he loves green peas in any form , but loves more over in mutor pulao, which he calls mutor chawal. In fact he loves it so much that I have to add 500 gm green peas for 2 1/2 cup rice...But then too his complain remains the same , " mutor kuch kam nahi ? "
Mutor Pulao can be served with any gravies , veg or non - veg, but I serve with emli gud kachumbar ( that's what we refer it as, in our mother tongue , but in simple language it means Raita ) , just serve the pulao in dish and pour this sweet and spicy onion raita on it , trust me you will love the taste.Though the pulao itself is so tasty and mesmerizing that it doesn't need any gravy or accomplishments to complete it.
I usually make mutor pulao once in a week , sometimes I replace it with mutton and sometimes with chicken , and sometimes i make my authentic mutton pulao, though I have posted it earlier on my blog , the recipe of Authentic Mutton Pulao / Memoni Mutton Pulao , I hope you all must have liked it.....
2 and 1/2 cups pulav rice|basmati rice
200 - 250 gms green peas or frozen peas
2 - 3 bay leaves
3- 4 pepper corns
1 small piece of cinnamon
2 black cardamom
1 -2 green cardamom
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 star anise
3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 medium sized finely chopped onions
3 - 4 tbsp thick curd
8 - 10 green chilies
chopped coriander leaves
salt as per taste
1. Wash rice in running water 3 - 4 times and soak it in clean water for about half an hour. ( but I have taken surti kolam rice so i just washed and soaked for 15 mins but if you using basmati rice then soak for 1/2 an hour )
2. If you have taken frozen peas , then just wash it under running water and in a vessel boil it with desired water , salt and 1/2 tp of sugar.But if you using green peas pods, so peel the peas off from the pod, wash it and then boil it with the mentioned ingredients.
3. In a deep thick bottomed vessel add oil and the whole spices that is bay leaves, cumin seeds, cinnamon,pepper corns, cloves,cardamoms, & let it splutter.
4. Now add onions and fry until they turn translucent , add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell disappears.
5. Now add curd and saute for a minute or two , add salt, crushed green chilies and chopped coriander leaves and fry for sometime until oil separates.
6. Now add 5 cups of vegetable stalk or water and bring to a boil, add desired salt for rice portion, drain rice and add to the prepared mixture ( when the water is boiling)
7. Once half water has dried up, drain the peas from the water & add to the rice, slow down the gas, adjust salt and if needed add slitted whole green chillies, place the vessel on iron griddle. ( previously hot the griddle on high flame and when you place the pulao vessel on it slow down the flame)
9. Serve hot with sweet and sour onion raita ( Click here for its recipe )
- If the water has dried up and yet the rice need to be cooked then sprinkle 1/2 cup of water all over aknee/ pulao, cover and cook till its completely done.
- Do not stir it every now and then, once you cover mutor pulao with the lid, by doing this you will prevent the long strands of rice from breaking .
- If you want you can add potatoes ( peel and chopped into four pieces) and add during the time you add water in which rice is cooked.
- Cooking time may vary, depending on the green peas quality.
- Best when served with sweet and sour onion raita.
- If you serving pulao with raita then make sure that you add less green chilies, as in the kachumber ( onion rata) chopped green chilies are added to give a spicy flavour, its your choice that if you want your rice to be spicy then do not add green chillies to onion emli gud raita , or if you want your accomplishment to be spicy then add less chilies to the pulao.
- You can add the mutor ( peas) during the time when you add green chilies and coriander leaves, or at the time when you add rice or the way here I have mentioned , even if you do not separately boil the peas, that's not a problem, I have made in all these mentioned ways, they all turn out good.
- If you feel that green peas are very tough nut to be cooked at the last moment , then add peas add the time when you add green chilies and coriander leaves, so that they get cooked properly during the whole preparation time.
- I use loads of peas , so if you not in favor then take as per your preference, here in these pics I have take 400 gms for 2 1/2 cup rice.
- Increase or decrease the green chilies as per your taste .
- Adding sugar to peas during the time of boiling will not make it that sweet, so do not worry that they might get sweet, in fact you get a better taste as nowadays the peas are so unreal ( without any taste ) in the market.
PREPARATION TIME : 45 - 50 Minutes.
SERVES: 4 Persons.