Recipe of capsicum / sambhadiya
Sambhadiya is made of green capsicum sauteed in freshly pounded spices which gives the perfect aromatic flavor to the capsicum. Sambhadiya is particularly served with kadhi ( with fritters ) , the combination is outstanding , as its served as condiment along with the dish.
Capsicum Sambhadiya can be served with dals too, as the taste is simply outstanding and palatable. Though I make capsicum chutney in 2 ways, and this is one of them, will surely post the other one soon.
Its a must try recipe , its kind of pickle in which you do not have to keep for days to be consumed, instead make the masala and keep in an air tight container , whenever you feel like making sambhadiya, saute the capsicum and add the spices.Here is the recipe of Capsicum Sambhadiya...
3 - 4 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 -2 tsp red chilly powder
sat to taste
1. Roast coriander seeds and keep aside to cool, once cool , grind it in food processor , not too fine nor too coarse. Roast cumin seeds and keep aside to cool, once cool , grind it.
2. Wash capsicum and chop into medium sized cubical shape. Heat a good amount of oil and add the capsicum , saute for a minute or two until it just starts changing its colour.
3. Now with a spetula shift all the capsicum at the edge so that the middle portion of the kadhai/ pan makes way for the masala to saute.
4. Now add the grounded spices and fry for 2 -3 minutes, add salt, turmeric powder and chilly powder, mix with the spices, again saute for a minute or two on low flame. ( make sure not to cover the pan / kadhai )
5. Now mix the spices with saute capsicum in the wok / kadhai itself , stir and simmer for 2 minutes, ( do not cover the lid) , remove from fire. Serve along with dal or kadhi as a condiment for best results.
- You can grind both coriander seeds and cumin seeds together , that isn't a problem.
- You can increase or decrease the tsp of red chilly powder according to your preferences.
- Make sure that when you add the grounded spices, there should be oil in the wok/ pan/ kadhai, so that you can fry them in that oil, a good amount of oil is needed as the roasted spices will soak all of them.
- Make fresh sambhadiya , but you can refregerate it if left over , in an air tight container, and can serve the next day too, though next day the capsicum might become soft, but the taste shall remain the same.
- You can prepare the grounded spices and keep in air tight container so whenever you feel like making this recipe , you shall have the spices handy and will save time, though i keep crushed coriander, and roasted , powdered cumin seeds throughout the year, so it takes hardly any minutes to prepare this recipe.
- Though I have taken 5 - 6 tbsp of coriander seeds , as I love the masala, if you want the same add 5-6 tsp of coriander seeds for such results.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 - 20 Minutes.
Serves: 3- 4 Persons.