Recipe of Masala Alu / Masala Aloo / Memoni Masala Alu With A Twist
What should I say about masala alu ( potatoes ) , I have been bought up having them , and they are my favorite..I still remember my phupi's ( aunties) use to come to our place for a day or so , and these masala alu had to be there in the menu, during tea time....they all use to love it...
In fact my chachi ( aunt) she use to serve damn good masala alu typically memoni style, am sure still she must be serving the same taste . I always was a fan of masala alu, since the time i recollect my memory, in memon's ( community) we accompany it with ..... chutney. In a serving bowl , add masala potatoes and 1 - 2 tbsp chutney , trust me you will love it......
Though my recipe is different, I make this masala alu and then instead of coriander leaves , sprinkle with finely chopped green capsicum and garnish with loads and loads of cheese ..... they taste simply outstanding.....
Take 2 - 3 ripe tomatoes
2 boiled potatoes
2 tsp red kashmiri chilli powder
A pinch of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Few Mustard seeds
1/4 tspCumin seeds
Few curry leaves
2- 3 tbsp tamarind pulp
1 green chilly ( optional )
Grated cheese 3/4 cup
2 - 3 tbsp green capsicum finely chopped
- In a sauce pan ,heat oil, add Mustard seeds and cumin seeds , ( here I add 3-4 crushed garlic too , but then if you do not want to add it totally depends on you ) let it splutter , add curry leaves and chopped green chilly too...
- Peel and chop the tomatoes , add to the sauce pan, & cook on low flame until soft.
- Once the tomatoes are soft add salt , turmeric powder, red chilly powder, stir and cook again until the tomatoes have formed into pulp .
- Now add tamarind pulp to the formed masala and saute for a minute, add chopped thick cubed potatoes and fry until all the gravy sticks to potatoes , adjust salt and spices.
- In a serving plate , place potaotes , add green capsicum and then top it with grated cheese.
- Your memoni masala alu in zulekha's style ready.
- If you want authentic recipe of Memoni masala alu then do not add capsicum and grated cheese as the twist is added by me.
- If the tomatoes are yet to be done but has dried up add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on low flame until tomatoes formed into pulp.
- Make sure you use red juicy tomatoes, for best results.
- Increase or decrease the number of chilly powder as per your preferences.
PREPARATION TIME: 2O Minutes.
SERVES: 2 persons.