Recipe of Sabodana Khichdi
Sabudana Khichdi , is an easy snack, loved by all Indians, though the origin comes from western parts of India like Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Maharashtra .It is basically a dish made for fast during Maha shivratri , Navratri or such Hindu occassions, but as I said its relished by all over India, and is served as a street food throughout the year.
I frequently make this sabodana khichdi in green as there are other variations too, like its made without coriander base and the look and texture is sort of white kind but here the recipe has coriander and chilly coarsely grounded paste, which makes the khichdi more tasty, where as this is my personal favorite. Though the most important thing is the time of soaking as it requires a little experience to get the perfect texture of sabudana ( sago) .
As I mentioned about the time of soaking , that's really important , and varies from person to person, some keep for 3-4 hours, some over night , some for just few minutes. But over the time I experimented which gave fantastic results, as initially I use to keep for 3 -4 hours but then then khichdi use to become too soggy and would not get the perfect texture , then I tried to keep for just 30 -45 minutes, drain and keep on large strainer ... I experienced a lot of difference in my khichdi , it turned out not only lip smacking but like a whole small beautiful pearls, and that's how the texture should be, not sticking to each other but at the same time soft and completely done.
Here is my recipe of Sabudana khichdi ......try it....!
3/4 cup sabodana or tapioca pearls
1 and 1/4 cups coriander leaves
2-3 green chillies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
few curry leaves.
2 -3 tbsp roasted peasnuts
1. Wash and soak sabudana for about 45 minutes, drain and keep aside for sometime on a large strainer.
2. Wash thouroughly coriander leaves and grind them with green chillies and little salt into fine in mortar pestel ( here in this step you can grind in food processor too, use dry grinder and grind fine without adding any water )
3. Take few roasted peanuts and crush them in mortar pestel . ( make sure they should be thick pieces , just crush them into half )
4. In a pan or kadhai , add little oil , cumin seeds and curry leaves , let it splutter.
5. Add peanuts and fry for half a minute.
6. Now add the coarsely grounded coriander chilly paste , fry for a minute . Add just 1/4 cup water to the motar or blender in which you had grind them into paste, now add this water to the gravy , boil for a minute.
7. Add sabudana , mix well , adjust salt , cover and cook on low flame for 3-5 minutes or until sabudana done .
7. Serve hot with squeezed lemon juice over tea time or as a snack.
- If you want , can skip that water step , instead after adding the corriander paste, fry for a minute then add sabudana , mix well, adjust salt and sprinkle little water , cover and cook on low flame until done .
- Sabudana khichdi should not be soggy.
- Do not add too much water , as they will become soggy.
- Initially I use to soak for 2-3 hours but then I noticed that they become too soggy, then i started soaking them for 45minutes to 1 hour , and drained them and kept aside for sometime on big strainer , I noticed that sabodana did not stick into each other nor they became soggy, this is what I experimented over the years, but feel free to adopt the soaking time as per your preferences.
- Add green chillies according to your taste buds.
- Roasted peanuts are readily avalaible in the market , but if in case not available , take unroasted ones, and roast them in microwave, oven or in a pan till they become crispy, keep aside to cool , then remove the skin .
- If you want , you can coarsely powder the peanut into mortar pestel, but I like it when they thick pieces and not too powdered , but then its your choice how you want them.
- Though you can take more peanuts other than just 2-3 tbsp , as it enhances the taste of khichdi, as it totally depends on you.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 - 15 Minutes + Soaking Time.
COOKING TIME: 10 -15 Minutes.
LEVEL : Easy
CATOGERY : Snacks
SERVES: 1 person.