Urad Gosht is a delectable recipe where Black gram Lentils and lamb meat , both are cooked separately along with spices and then they are mixed together well , followed by baghar ( tempering ) . Urad Gosht is served preferably with rice but I like it with chapatis too.
Urad Gosht is my husband most favourite dish , as he has grown up having it . I wasn't aware of this combination though , but was introduced by my mother in law after I got married to him . This is one of the most famous dish in ( Uttar Pradesh ) , as all have their own versions , I have been making this Recipe since past 3 years now , but did not get the chance to upload it , here is my take on it . Hope you like my version too , here is my recipe of Urad Gosht.. !
250 gms lamb meat
2 small onions
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp red chilly powder ( spicy )
2 tsp coriander powder
Coriander for garnishing
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup black gram lentil
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
3-4 green chillies finely chopped
1 or 1/2 tsp red chilly powder ( spicy )
Salt to taste
OTHER INGREDIENTS :
1/4 or 1/2 cup ghee
1 small finely chopped onions
- Wash and soak black gram lentils in warm water for an hour. ( you can preferably soak black gram lentils in plain water a night before )
- Drain black gram lentils and add in a pressure cooker along with salt, red chilly powder ( 1 tsp ), green chilies , 2 ginger garlic paste with 4-5 cups of water and let it make 3 -4 whistles on high flame. Slow down the gas and let it cook for few more 3-4 whistles .Turn off the gas , let it cool , check if the lentils are completely done , if not then again keep on gas and make it whistle until it is done.
- Once whole black urad is done , transfer it in another vessel and keep aside . In the same cooker , add cleaned and washed mutton ( meat ), salt , thickly chopped onions, coriander powder , red chilly powder , turmeric powder , ginger garlic paste , some oil , garam masala powder with little water and pressure it for 2-3 whistle on high flame , slow the gas and let it make 3-4 whistles more .
- Side by side until the lentils are been cooked , In a deep pot or vessel add cleaned and washed mutton ( meat ) , salt , thickly chopped onions coriander powder , red chilly powder , turmeric powder , ginger garlic paste , some oil , garam masala powder with little water and cook on low flame until the meat is almost done . In between if you feel that water has dried up , add 1 cup of water and cook until almost done . ( this method tastes better than the above mentioned step, but you can follow either of them )
- Turn off the gas , let it cool for sometime , and now check if the mutton is almost done, if yes then add this cooked mutton with thick gravy to the urad dal , mix well , keep on gas again on slow flame.
- In a fry pan add ghee and thinly sliced onions , fry until they turn golden in colour , immediately add this to the urad gosht and add some freshly chopped coriander leaves ,let it simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until the meat is completely done.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Increase or decrease the number of green chilies as per your preferences.
- You can serve it with chapati too .
- Do not worry about the onions directly added to the meat, they shall turn into gravy once the meat is almost done .
- Two cooking ways are mentioned above for preparing mutton , you can follow any one of them , as slow cooking in pot is more preferable as it tastes better than the other one but due to shortage of time you can prepare in pressure cooker too.
PREPARATION TIME : 40 -50 MINUTES .
SERVES : 3 PERSONS APPROXIMATELY.
IF YOU LIKE MY RECIPES DO RECOMMEND THE RECIPE LINK TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS.