Bread Ka Halwa ( with out khoya ) Recipe
Pav Ka Halwa ( Bread Halwa ) is an Indian Sweet Dessert in which the bread pieces are fried in clarified butter and is then cooked in sweet milk with some ghee roasted dry fruits.
Bread halwa can be prepared with or without khoya ( mava ) , as it depends on you or ingredients availability . In fact when I was about to prepare this halwa ( dessert ) I was unable to find khoya in my area , so I opted for making my Bread Halwa without khoya ( mava) . The Only thing differs is time , like preparing with khoya would take a less time than preparing without khoya , as you need to cook the milk until it's reduced then its original quantity. Other than that , the procedure time is same .
Here is my recipe of scrumptious pav ka halwa / Bread Halwa .
1/2 litre whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
6 slices of bread
3 - 4 whole almonds and cashews
1/8 th tsp green cardamom powder
few sliced almonds
few strands of safron
4-5 tbsp ghee
1 silver vark
- Chop of the edges of each bread piece and cut into 6 pieces.
- In a small bowl add one tbsp warm milk and add saffron and keep aside.
- In a pan boil the milk , until the milk reduces to half of the original quantity ( this reducing of milk may take time like about 10 minutes or more ), add sugar and stir until it melts.
- Side by side in another non stick fry pan add clarified butter ( ghee ) and bread pieces , fry until they turn to light golden brown in colour . Drain and keep aside . ( You can fry the bread pieces in batches too , if the bread pieces do not accommodate at one go)
- In the same remaining ghee add whole cashews , raisins and almonds and fry until they turn golden brown . Drain and keep aside.
- Once the boiling milk have reduced and sugar has melted , add roasted bread pieces , green cardamom powder and cook stirring at intervals until all the milk has been absorbed .
- Add saffron milk , fried raisins , cashews , almonds and the remaining ghee in which you fried the bread and dry fruits.
- Cook until all thickens up and the halwa begins to leave the sides with ghee oozing out.
- Transfer in a serving bowl or dish , place a silver vark on it , garnish with few sliced almonds and serve warm or cold as you like . ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat )
- You can add any dry fruits as per your preferences.
- At the time of frying the bread , ghee may reduce , so if you want you can add more clarified butter if its needed.
- If you want to add very less clarified butter , then add few drops of ghee and fry the bread pieces until the are roasted and do not fry the dry fruits too in ghee.
- Best when you roast the dry fruits in ghee , it gives an additional scrumptious taste to the halwa.
- Increase or decrease the amount of sugar as per your preferences.
PREPARATION TIME : 30 MINUTES.
SERVES : 3 -4 PERSONS.