Lachedar Parantha Recipe
Lachedar Paratha is a layered paratha made of all purpose flour dough or wheat flour dough or combining the both flour. Though there are 2-3 ways to make Lachedar paratha ,to be served with any Indian veg or non vegetarian curry.The procedure is like how we use to make a paper fan in our childhood , its exactly the same , in fact whenever I prepare Lachedar paratha it takes me to my childhood memories , the most nostalgic ones.
Coming back to the Recipe , without much ado, Here is the recipe of Lachedar Paratha...!
2 AND 1/2 cup All purpose flour ( maida )
1/2 cup oil or warm ghee
1/2 cup warm milk
1/8 th tsp sugar (optional )
warm water as desired
METHOD : ( Recipe By Zulekha Arafat)
- In a large bowl , add flour , salt and sugar (optional ), mix well .
- Add warm ghee and crumble well with your hands.
- Now add milk and start kneading into a soft dough , if required add water too for kneading. Cover with a damp mulmul cloth and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6-7 portions and shape each into a ball shape.
- Take one dough ball , roll it into a 6-7 inch diameter circle on a dusted rolling board.
- Apply ghee or oil evenly on it and sprinkle some dry flour on it.
- Start making small pleats with the help of your fingers , say about 1/2 inch pleat each , starting from one edge and completing it on the other edge. Stretch the pleated dough as much as possible . ( like we use to make a fan of paper in childhood , same way you have to make small pleates from one end to another )
- Now roll the pleated dough like a swiss roll and secure the ends by pressing gently.
- After dividing the dough into equal portions , take a small dough , roll it into a 6-7 inch diameter circle on a dusted rolling board. Apply ghee or oil evenly on it and sprinkle some dry flour on it. Now with the help of a knife cut the paratha into thin strips , starting from one edge to the other . Now place each strip one by one on the base strip until all placed, roll like a swiss roll and secure the ends by pressing gently . ( another way of making lachedar paratha )
- Dust in flour and lightly roll with a rolling pin into a round shape paratha of about 5 inch diameter.
- Side by side , heat tawa , once the tawa is hot , place the paratha and roast.
- Once the side is roasted , flip and add ghee , cook for about a minute on medium flame.
- Now again turn and apply ghee on the other side too.
- Keep flipping few more times until the paratha is cooked properly and turns light brown in color.
- Cook well by pressing the sides with a spatula , flip and press the sides with a spatula.
- Crush the paratha so that the layers are visible. ( optional step )
- Serve hot with any Indian curry or vegetable curry of your choice.
NOTE : ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat)
- After making pleats , roll the paratha very lightly with a rolling pin. Do not press it too hard on paratha .
- You can replace the all purpose flour with wheat flour or you can add half of all purpose flour and half of wheat flour , it totally depends on you.
- Best made with wheat flour for healthy diet.
PREPARATION TIME : 10 -15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME: 30 Minutes.
SERVES: 3-4 Persons.