How to make Ras Malai at home
Ras Malai is a soft cottage cheese flatten pieces , dipped in kesari flavorful creamy milk Rabri . You can either make Paneer at home or if you want to make a quick dessert then , you can make Ras malai by using Ragulla and condensed milk.
Ras Malai is a creamy , flavorful and scrumptious Bengali Dessert . Here is my Recipe .....!
INGREDIENTS : ( Recipe by Zulekha Arafat )
- Paneer ( click here for recipe )
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cardamom pods
- handful of pistashios and almonds
- 3/4 litre full fat milk ( rabri )
- In a large vessel or deep pan , add 3/4 liter milk and bring to a boil.
- Add pinch of saffron and sugar , once the milk is boiled .
- Keep the milk on slow flame and let it boil further , make sure you stir at interval of 3-5 minutes. ( I have used full fat buffalo milk ,but you can add full fat cow's milk as well )
- Boil until the quantity reduces to almost half and have thicken up , when a layer of thin cream is formed while its boiling , just move it aside with the help of a big spoon. Once the quantity reduces and milk thickens , off the gas and set aside.Side by side make the paneer or prepare paneer pre hand , if you using home made paneer. ( click here for the home made recipe )
- If you are using home made Paneer , instead of chopping it into pieces , remove the Paneer from the muslin cloth and crumble it.
- Add the paneer in a large plate and knead for 2- 5 minutes until it forms a smooth dough.Now make 10 -12 equal balls of it and flatten gently between your palms . Make sure you do not press too much or else it will be thin and might break further while cooking.
- Side by side in a large pan , boil 3 cups of water with sugar and few cardamom pods.
- Bring to a boil or until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the flatten paneer pieces one by one , to the boiling syrup and cook covered for about 4-5 minutes on a medium flame. Now flip and cook for more 3-4 minutes.
- Off the gas and let it cool for 15 -20 minutes or more , if you want can transfer the paneer to another bowl.
- Drain each pattie of paneer and press gently between two spoons to remove excess syrup. ( Here in this step be gentle as it may break )
- Add the paneer pieces to the flavourful Rabri and simmer for a 3-4 minutes .
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with almonds and pistachios and serve chill. ( preferably refrigerate it for 2-3 hours before serving )
NOTE : ( Recipe By Zulekha Arafat )
- Paneer should not be too dry nor too moist to make Ras Malai.
- Some add diluted cornflour to make the Rabri thick , if you want you can make that way too.
- If you want you can add cardamom pods or cardamom powder in the Rabri and not in the sugar syrup.
PREPARATION TIME : 15 Minutes.
COOKING TIME : 40 -45 Minutes . ( including the preparation of paneer)
TOTAL TIME : 60 Minutes.
CUISINE : Bengali ( Indian)
SERVES : 6 Persons .
TYPE : Dessert.